Wednesday, December 1, 2010

machismo = sharp teeth

We don't eat a lot of meat around here. Not for any big purposeful reason, I just don't like to prepare it and don't particularly love it; and I'm the household cook, so my preferences win. So it is a rare day that we have a slab of meat in the house or in a meal. Tonight, I made a vegetable soup, and I remembered I had a flank steak in the freezer for some purpose I cannot recall. So I cooked it until tender, cut it into soup-appropriate pieces, and added it to the simmering pot.

When I prepared Caroline's bowl, I left in only one cube of meat and told her if she liked it, she could have more.

She tried the bite of steak without hesitation. She chewed a few seconds. She didn't look convinced that she liked it.

Her verdict was a thumbs down.

"I kind of feel like a boy when I'm eating that."

No comments: