Saturday, May 23, 2009

trickery

Caroline is obsessed with Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. Something about their shape and texture just begs to be touched. She calls them "sponges" or "dangerous sponges," and I have to remind her frequently that they are not ok to play with.

She carried a box downstairs a few moments ago.

Caroline: Hey, I found these dangerous sponges. Can I have one?

Mama: No, you know they are dangerous. They have chemicals.

C: Chemicals are sharp and dangerous. But I really want to play with one.

M: Something like that. Right here on the box, it says "Keep out of reach of children!" That means you cannot touch them.

C: But I'm not a children, so I can have a sponge.

M: I think you're a child.

C: Nope, I'm a grown up.

M: Oh you are? Do you drive a car?

C: [sighs, hangs head] No.

M: I didn't think so. And you don't have a job, either.

C: YES! I do have a job!

M: Oh really? What job is that?

C: I pick out sponges. Especially ones in that blue box.

No comments: